Friday, April 14, 2006

Random 10

I know it’s Easter Friday and all, but somehow I almost forgot that it was, you know, Friday. Silly, silly, silly me.

  1. Over Our Heads – Jon Brion – Finally something has come along to break the endless cycle of Alabama 3 tunage. And that something was the “I ♥ Huckabees” soundtrack. I’ve had a copy of “Knock Yourself Out” since I saw the film, and actually toyed with using it somewhere in the Monkey House exit music (probably along with a neat jazz-piano version of Radiohead’s “Paranoid Android”) but ended up choosing two Apocolyptica tunes instead. But I digress. The point is this: This wonderful, mellow, eerily cheery song about how life is sad, death is inevitable, and any grander meaning is “Over Our Heads” is my current favourite track form the soundtrack.

  2. Chris DeBurgh – One More Mile To Go – Don’t think I’ve heard this one before, which is weird, because I didn’t think I’d done any CdB downloads without listening to them. Definitely sounds like a Chris DeBurgh song, though. Funny that.

  3. Ani Difranco – Independence Day – I think I am most fond of somber, acoustic style stuff as opposed to her more upbeat, or more overproduced material. This song is just ridiculously perfect with a bare minimum of instruments.

  4. Depeche Mode – Black Day – Track three of unknowns for tonight. This is a weird one for Depeche Mode. The music seems mostly comprised of an electronic harmonica or something. Actually, this now seems like some kind of weird remix of something. “Black Celebration” maybe? I’m not sure.

  5. Genesis – Second Home By The Sea – This is one of those songs that really shouldn’t have been split from its other half. The two parts of the song really should be played together, and yet by splitting them, you’re allowing radio stations and random playlists to muck with the proper musical experience. I suppose I could just edit the two tracks together into one…but that’d take too much work. Easier to just complain.

  6. Peter Gabriel – Games Without Frontiers (Massive / DB Mix) – One of my favourites from early Gabriel stuff. It’s been awhile since I heard the original, but seems to have a much, much heaver drum track on it. (Oh, wait, I think I just realized that the “DB” in “DB Mix” probably stands from drum and bass…)

  7. Sheryl Crow – All I Wanna Do – The song that introduced me to Sheryl Crow. And one which seems to have a sound unique to just about anything else she’s done. I think the notion of kicking back at the bar while everyone else is at work has a sort of appeal to most folks. I know it does to me.

  8. U2 – Grace – Hearing U2 tonight reminds me of this news story, which I read this morning. Which doesn’t have anything to do with this song, but I thought it was interestingly nonetheless, and it wouldn’t have gotten a mention in my blog if not for the song. So it’s kind of connected in that way. It also seems like a fitting song in the context of the news story, actually.

  9. Oingo Boingo – Can’t See (Useless) – One of the better tracks off the last of their studio albums. Unfortunately, this is the live version from their “Farewell” tour which isn’t quite as strong as the original. Still, a great song.

  10. Oingo Boingo – Outrageous – And from a Boingo song performed during their final tour comes a Boingo song that, from the sounds of it, came from very early in their career. Man, I love their stuff. Have I done a Boingo random 10? I can’t remember now.

  11. McFadden & Whitehead – Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now – Unless my memory is mistaken, this is from the “Boogie Nights” soundtrack. Though the more I listen, the more I think I’m mistaken. I don’t know. I haven’t seen the movie in awhile. I tried to watch it the other night, but got tired. I have to stop getting the urge to watch movies at 1:00 a.m. I think. Particularly movies that are longer than 120 minutes.

And that’s it for tonight’s Random 10. Thanks for coming along for the ride. Cheerio and good tidings.

No comments: