Wednesday, April 12, 2006

And there's two of my favourite films on the list!

I can't remember how I found the site anymore, and it's been in my bookmarks for a few weeks, but I decided it was worth drawing your attention to Arts and Faith's list of 100 Spirtitually Significant Films.

Yes, there are some obvious picks in the list -- films like "The Passion of the Christ," "Jesus of Nazareth," and "The Last Temptation of Christ." But a lot of the list is made up of some really interesting choices. Films like "The Straight Story," and "The Elephant Man," by David Lynch, Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven," and "The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," from the always bizarre mind of Charlie Kaufman.

I guess it's the word choice in titling the list that's relevant -- that these aren't necessarily "religiously" significant, or significant ways specific to certain faiths or denominations, but "spirtitually" significant.

Just from glancing at the list, it looks like more than half of it is made up of foreign films, providing a much wider examination of spirituality than in focusing just on what Hollywood outputs, which is nice.

Oh, and for the record, my two favourite films that made the list -- "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Magnolia" are also my first and second favourite films, period, of all time. Magnolia was kind of a surprise, especially placed at #27.

Give it a look and see how many of your own favourite films made the short list.

No comments: