Thursday, April 13, 2006

Big deal, you're doomed to die...

So what you’re never understood?
Big deal you’re doomed to die
Oh, oh
Nothing ever lasts
It all gets torn to shreds
If something’s ever lasting
It’s over our heads
It’s over our heads
- Jon Brion
Over Our Heads



I finally got my hands on a copy of the "I ♥ Huckabees" soundtrack and, just like any other time I get my hands on some really, really nifty music, it's been on just about constant replay for the last two days (though I only played it once at work today, for fear of driving my coworkers nuts).

Additionally, it makes for really, really great writing music, as it's mostly instrumental, so not a lot of lyrics to get into my head and interfere with my own word creation process.

Brion hasn't done a lot of soundtrakc work -- on top of "Huckabees" there's "Magnolia," "Hard Eight," "The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," and "Punch Drunk Love." Of them, "Magnolia" is really very, very good but "Huckabees" is a stand-out, and easily my favourite, and a favourite among soundtracks in general. It's strangely and uniquely arranged in a way that manages to somehow drift easily between the happy and the sombre.

I suppose that's what happens when you compose a soundtrack for a film billed as an existential comedy.

No comments: