Sunday, September 05, 2004

Looking to the future *OR* God-FUCKING-Dammit, I lost an entire blog post and now I need to rewrite it from scratch

When the fuck am I going to learn. Among the always linkable Tony Pierce's advice on blogging was this little pearl of wisdom:

before you hit Save as Draft or Publish Post, select all and copy your masterpiece. you are using a computer and the internet, shit can happen. no need to lose a good post.
Good advice. Lesson learned now, I think, as an (arguably) good post has now, officially, been lost. (more great advice from the Pierce-man on how to blog can be found here).

So here is, as best as I can remember, what I was trying to say before.

Tomorrow (or, in fact, later today) will mark the last in my five "Missing Stick Figure" posts, leaving me with no burning need to come back here each and every day. And, unfortunately, at least for the moment, I think I still need that excuse. Whatever it is.

I think I've found that excuse.

People who've known me for years know that I am an unashamed fan of Stephen King. King's "Cujo" was, if memory serves me correctly, the first grown-up book I read, somewhere around the third grade (thanks mom!). And while I'll be the first to admit that he has not proven to be a consistently brilliant writer, he has generated enough work of brilliance to earn his place along the finest writers of the 20th century.

I am also a graphic design geek. I've been working in graphic design -- both in ad design and page layout -- for the entirety of my adult life, plus a few years in my late adolescence. In fact, at 31 years old, I've been in a various facets of the design industry for almost half my life. That gives me the authority to think that (right or wrong) that what does and doesn't constitute good design.

Those two facts, combined with my discovery tonight of an online archive of Stephen King book covers, has me sold on what my next blogging project should be.

I'm going to write a, day-by-day, book-by-book, review of Stephen King cover designs.

No, I'm not going to critique every single King cover design that has ever come off the presses. That'd be stupid. I will, however, zero in on four or five noteworthy cover designs for each of his books, whether they're noteworthy for their quality or lack-thereof.

If you're a fan of King, then come along for the ride -- it should be fun. And if you're not...well, wtf, come along anyway, if all goes according to plan it should be just as entertaining for you folks as well.

EDIT: I think I've now, officially, revisited this entry at least five times to fix little typos, missing words, etc. Second lesson learned -- don't blog at 1:30 a.m. if you're intent is to be coherent.

No comments: