Friday, September 24, 2004

Internet vs. internet

The Chicago Manual of Style has a bunch of new rules / suggestions on the proper way to write about the Internet and technology, some of which I was surprised to see.

For example, the suggest using "log in" and "log out" as opposed to the closed up versions that, I would expect, would be more common -- "login" and "logout".

They also cover captilization of URLs (which, contrary to their suggestion, I would never do, although I *do* capitalize when the .com is part of their company's name -- www.expedia.ca vs. Expedia.ca)

I was also under the impression that they were suggesting spelling Internet with a lower case i -- internet -- but I can't actually see that on their page during a quick, cursory look, so maybe I'm wrong. Hope I'm wrong, because I still think it's stupid to use a lower case i. But that's just me.

Why am I telling you all this? I don't have the foggiest idea. Maybe just to get it all out of my system so I don't spend 400 words writing a terribly dull column about it.

No comments: