Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I think my computer is melting

Fuck, I think my computer is about two steps away from the grave. And it's starting to get on my nerves.

I like it when my computer works. I like it when my computer works well. I like it when my computer sings and dances and does cartwheels.

It hasn't done that in awhile.

First my stupid video card -- a Geforce 4 I bought last year -- starts freaking out on me. After about a month of banging my stupid head against the problem, I realize the card is overheating because, duh, it's not winter anymore. And, apparently, the fan that was installed on the card isn't sufficient to keep it cool in the spring / summer. No problem, I find a Geforce overclocking utility that'll allow me to...uh...underclock it.

Then a couple of weeks ago, my speakers start to give out this weird, consistant, crackling, static-y sound. At first I assume it's the sound card, because, I think, if it was a speaker problem, it would only be one or maybe two speakers, not all freaking five of them.

That's right, five speakers -- I've got a 5.1 surround speaker setup to go with the sound blaster audigy 2 I bought last year.

So I reinstall drivers and I move the card to three different PCI slots and nothing happens. And I'm pulling my hair out, because I'm trying to listen to some goddamn MP3s and all I can hear is this obnoxious fucking crackling.

Finally, tonight, I'm about to lose my mind take a fucking hatchet to the speakers when it occurs to me to test a different set of speakers on the sound card -- because I've still got my labtec speakers + subwoofer that I had used before upgrading the soundcard and, therefore, requiring a 5.1 speaker system.

And what do you fucking know...

Everything sounds just fine coming out of the Labtec speakers.

Which means my fucking Logitech speakers, which I bought just last year, are fucked.

Fucking fuckdy fuck.

Wonder if the sonsabitches are still under warranty.

No comments: