Monday, March 05, 2007

On drinking.

"Something has been said for sobriety but very little." --John Berryman

"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough." --Mark Twain

"The worse thing about some men is that when they are not drunk they are sober."
--William Butler Yeats

"Beware of the man who does not drink."
--Proverb

"When I realized that what I had turned out to be was a lousy, two-bit pool hustler and drunk, I wasn’t depressed at all. I was glad to have a profession."
--Danny McGoorty

"I drink to make other people interesting."
--George Jean Nathan

All quotes courtesy of an amusing list of drinking-related quotes found here. Booze is a topic that just about everyone seems to have had something to say about at one time or another. Unsurprisingly, most of what they have to say is pretty good, even when it's bad.

I do feel something's being missed, though, in the absence of one of my favourite quotes from Hunter Thompson. So I'll add it to my own list here:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Well said. Well said.

No comments: