Thursday, June 03, 2004

I won't tell you my name, if you don't tell me yours.

I think I'm beginning to understand the appeal of an anonymous blog.

It's been a tough issue for me, actually. I've long believed that if you feel something strongly enough, you should have no problem attaching your name to those beliefs. You should be able to proudly declare the things you believe in -- standing straight, chest pushed out, brow furrowed in intense intensity.

Freedom of a speech is a gift. One that we should take advantage of each and every day, if only to ensure that it those who might wish to take it from us have as hard a struggle as possible.

Here's the problem.

It would be nice if the blog could be more than just a place to go and share your opinions. It'd be nice if I could use this as a replacement for, say, a therapist.

You go to a therapist so you can talk about the things that are on your mind, stressing you out, poking at your brain, and you want to talk to someone who isn't going to be judgemental. Someone's who is just going to listen to you, let you get the stuff out, and maybe offer a wee bit of advice along the way.

I think, sometimes, a therapist would be nice. I also think a 50" plasma TV would be nice too. Financially, the chances of my getting either one right now are the same -- zero.

So it occured to me that it would be nice to be able to come here and just rant my little head off about things that big me, or depress me, or make my teeth tingle in my head. Except...I'd need my blog to be sworn to secrecy. And with my name all over it, that's not likely to happen.

So, suddenly, I can understand the appeal of anonymity. And it's tempting.

It's tempting to think about starting another blog. On the other hand, that'd make three, after this one and the new, still taking its first few breaths, WL Studio Theatre blog that I've been posting to more often than here lately. And I don't even have enough content to fill up on blog, let alone three.

Still, the anonymity thing remains tempting. If only to provide a small outlet for the *real* things that are on my mind. Not this kind of fluff.

Of course, then, if I fill the other, anonymous blog with what I'm really thinking and really feeling, what on earth would be the point in posting here?

Must give this more thought.

No comments: