Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Random Boingo Random 10

Random Random time again.

We finished the read-through of “Welcome to the Monkey House” earlier tonight, and my brain is buzzing with the prospects for the play. We don’t, as of this moment, have a complete cast, but I think I figured out how to pull the last few strings together and get the show ready to roll. I’m going to let the idea sit in my head overnight and decide tomorrow if it’ll work, but I’m actually feeling kind of good about it.

Tonight’s Random Random is from the Oingo Boingo archive. Enjoy.

  1. My Life – “Hey, yeah, my life has come unraveled again…like so many threads; Hey, yeah, my life has begun unfolding, into so many pieces…” For such a depressing notion, it’s a pretty upbeat song. And a wonderful first track for the Random Random, as it pretty much describes how I’ve felt about the casting process of the play, thus far.

  2. Wild Sex (In the Working Class) – Not sure why, but this Boingo track has never done much for me. The particular version I’m listening to is from the live “Farewell” album, if anyone cares.

  3. Sweat – Damn. After starting off strong, we drift into a couple of songs that I’m less fond of. Okay, I know, the point of the Random 10 is not to necessarily listen to what you want to listen to but, you know, random stuff. Still…let’s get some good stuff. Please? Wait, hang on…”Without friction, there’s no heat; without heat, there can’t be fire, without fire there’s no desire…” Yeah, okay, those are good lines. And there’s a pretty cool saxophone solo. Okay, maybe this song ain’t so bad after all.

  4. Clowns of Death – Ah, now we’re into the gooooood stuff again. Sadly, this song never made it onto a studio album, and the only official recording is from the previously mentioned “Farewell” live album. Still, we take what we can get. “The clowns of death are marching on their hideous parade; Their glaring eyes are filled with hate, but I am not afraid; Their painted faces cracked with age, their makeup old and worn; With tattered wings and toothy grins to amplify their scorn.” How can you go wrong with lyrics like that?

  5. Dead Man’s Party – And this, I think, is what it’s all about. If there is an Oingo Boingo musical archetype, this is it. “I was struck by lightning walking down the street; I was hit by something last night in my sleep; It’s a dead man’s party, who could ask for more? Everybody’s coming, leave your body at the door.” I’m still not sure how Halloween has survived without them…*sob*

  6. Gratitude (Extended Dance Version) – Another of my favourites, though I’m not sure if the extended dance version is an improvement or not. “Now, is that gratitude?” Well, is it?

  7. No Spill Blood – And here we drift back into the less than favourites. Not a bad song, by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s just…well, never done much for me.

  8. Long Breakdown – Boingo’s last two albums, for whatever reason, kind of stick out funny compared to their previous. This track is from their second-to-final album “Dark at the End of the Tunnel” which was, I think, the first Boingo album I ever heard (through a co-worker many, many years ago) and so it will always have a warm spot in my heart, even if the album seems kind of weird compared to their earlier efforts.

  9. Nothing to Fear (But Fear Itself) – “Hey neighbor let me give you some advice, the russians are about to pulverize us In our sleep tonight; That is if the crazy arabs or the riots don’t get us first; and the fire will rain down from the sky, the fire will rain down from the sky.” Need I say more?

  10. Helpless – And we end on a strong – but ultimately kind of sad – note. Still, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve felt exactly like this. “Countless long nightsWhile i stare at the wall, I ask myself over again... How did I end up in this little hell? How - did it ever begin?

And that’s it for another exciting adventures in Random Randoms. When can you expect to see this again? Only the shadow knows…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://cogkvdvj.com/zkkw/oiqq.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ebtbrxuc.com/rltr/nmzh.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://cogkvdvj.com/zkkw/oiqq.html | http://hdcdvsdn.com/kmwq/bwhl.html