Sunday, January 22, 2006

The coolest thing I've seen in, like, well, weeks, probably.

Okay, so, like, there’s a web page where you drop in your age, and it tells you what other famous people accomplished when they were your age. I think it’s supposed to be some kind of kick in the ass to motivate you to get out and do something really cool with your life, but in most cases I think it probably just makes people feel sad and insignificant.

Anyway, I found this site courtesy of “Stumble Upon” for Firefox and found this wonderfully moving accomplishment under the age of 32:

“Penniless and unemployed, Buckminster Fuller decided against suicide, resolving instead to live out the rest of his life as an experiment to see what one person could do to help humanity.”

And I just…wow.

Wow.

I don’t think there’s words for what I’m feeling right now. Except that I find myself wishing that Buckminster Fuller were the patron saint of people who really, really wanted to give up their jaded, meaningless lives and try to do something to help humanity. Not that I’m Catholic or anything. Just…patron saints are cool.

Courtesy of the “Things other people accomplished while they were your age” site.

No comments: