Thursday, November 23, 2006

Schadenfreude

Nicky: Schadenfreude, huh? What's that, some kinda Nazi word?

Gary: Yeah. It's german for happiness at the misfortune of others.

Nicky: Happiness at the misfortune of others...that *is* German!

The above exchange comes courtesy of broadway's "Avenue Q," which is not only a play I'd actually quite like to direct one day, once the amateur rights become available, but also provides a nice, concise definition of the word.

Schadenfreude.

Mmmm.

I had the opportunity tonight to experience a pleasant glow of Schadenfreude. And I don't really want to gloat about it, because that'd just be mean, but when you do get the chance to experience pure schadenfreude, it can bring a bout smile quite unlike any other.

Oh, and of course, when the other person's misfortune (and / or suffering) is karmicly appropriate...yeah, it's even better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I got to know! What is it? Who? Where?

Todd said...

I decided in the interest of respect, I wouldn't drudge up any details in this somewhat public forum. *However* if you wanted to grill me in a more private environment (say, over drinks, or over MSN) I'd be more than happy to spill all the relevant details. Because it's still fun to laugh at others' suffering. Mua-ha-ha.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. I love schadenfreude. :-)