Saturday, May 20, 2006

On the bright side...

In the end, though, something good may have come out of my outing to see “The DaVinco Code” tonight (see previous entry for more details on that)…an idea for a short story.

I went for a coffee at Tim Horton’s after the film with the Vanderhoof friend and his wife. It was about 9:30 at night, and there were only a handful of people there, but I found myself wondering, who is it that goes and drinks coffee at 9:30 at night? Who drinks coffee at 11:00 at night? Or 1:00 in the morning?

And then a mailbox, upon which was printed: All other destinations.

I’m not exactly sure where I’m going yet, but I’m seeing a group of people who force insomnia onto themselves in an attempt to expand their consciousness, to see the world around in the a different – and bigger – way. And someone who, while suffering in the midst of his own legitimate insomnia attack, stumbles upon this group. And who possibly manages to stumble onto the very thing that they’re looking for.

It’s too late to start messing around with it now, sadly, but it definitely feels like an idea worth playing with. Insomnia isn’t exactly one of my current creative obsessions, but I’ve had enough experience with it that it might be worth playing with creatively.

We’ll see.

No comments: