Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Dick Flicks

I've been trying to come up with a name for "Chick Flicks for Guys" after watching Sideways again last night, and deciding that, essentially, that's exactly what it is. I'm also trying to think of other films that fall into the same category, and while I'm pretty sure there aren't many, I know there must be a few. I'm just not coming up with any names at the moment.

I'd seen the film once before, and totally missed that angle on it. On a first viewing, I was simply drawn in to the story of two friends on a road trip through California wine country, as one prepares for his upcoming marriage, and the other prepares for the possible publication of his book. It was only on a second viewing that I saw through all the surface stuff -- the road trip, the wedding, the wine -- and realized that, at it's heart, it's a story really just a mushy love story. Which isn't really so bad. It's just that it's easy to miss the first time, what with all the drinking and testosterone.

It's also phenomenally well written, and according to the IMDB, the first film to win screenplay awards from all five major critic groups, the Golden Globes, the WGA, and ultimately the Academy Awards.

This exchange, in which the character of Miles essentially describes himself while describing why he favours a particular type of wine, is one of my favourites:

Maya: You know, can I ask you a personal question, Miles?
Miles Raymond: Sure.
Maya: Why are you so in to Pinot?
Miles Raymond: [laughs softly]
Maya: I mean, it's like a thing with you.
Miles Raymond: [continues laughing softly]
Miles Raymond: Uh, I don't know, I don't know. Um, it's a hard grape to grow, as you know. Right? It's uh, it's thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early. It's, you know, it's not a survivor like Cabernet, which can just grow anywhere and uh, thrive even when it's neglected. No, Pinot needs constant care and attention. You know? And in fact it can only grow in these really specific, little, tucked away corners of the world. And, and only the most patient and nurturing of growers can do it, really. Only somebody who really takes the time to understand Pinot's potential can then coax it into its fullest expression. Then, I mean, oh its flavors, they're just the most haunting and brilliant and thrilling and subtle and... ancient on the planet.

I'm not 100% sold on the term "Dick Flick." I mean, it's got the right sort of play on words, rhyming with "chick" and all, but it also seems a little bit on the crude side. Any suggestions?

No comments: